Mandate/ Responsibility of National Cohesion and Values
To spear head and coordinate mainstreaming of National Values, national reconciliation and healing in the Kenyan society through strategies and programmes that promotes national cohesion, integration and unity.
Â Â Â Â The department performs the following key functions:
- Providing strategic leadership and policy direction on matters of National Cohesion and National values;
- Formulating and developing short term and long term policies, strategies and plans for the achievement of national cohesion and reconciliation;
- Preparing and compiling annual reports on all measures taken and progress achieved in the realization of National Values stated in Article 10 of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010;
- Developing short term and long term policies, strategies and plans for the promotion of National Values; in liaison with stakeholders;
- Coordinating the implementation of policies, strategies and plans for the promotion of National Values ;
- Coordinating and implementing policies, strategies and plans for the achievement of national cohesion and reconciliation;
- Formulating, coordinating and implementing programmes for the promotion of national cohesion and reconciliation in liaison with other stakeholders;
- Liaising with other Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) in mainstreaming National Cohesion and reconciliation within the public service;
- Promoting national unity, social justice and national interests;
- Creating networks and a database of national cohesion stakeholders and actors;
- Advocacy, Public Education and sensitization on national cohesion, reconciliation and National Values;
- Conducting research on national cohesion, reconciliation and National Values;
- Establishing the necessary legal, institutional and policy frameworks for the promotion of National Cohesion, Reconciliation and National Values;
- Undertaking monitoring and evaluation of National Cohesion, Reconciliation and National Values programmes and their impact in the country and taking corrective measures;
- Preserving and institutionalizing cohesion and national values memory through establishment of research and memorialization centres;
- Developing guidelines for training in cohesion, reconciliation and national values to ensure technical competence and knowledge among stakeholders; and
- Spearheading the identification and recognition of cohesion champions at various levels.
- Sourcing and mobilizing resources for the promotion of national cohesion, national unity and national values;
- Lobbying for media support in the promotion of National cohesion and National values.
Activities to be undertaken in 2018/19 FY
The Directorate is currently involved in the running of key programmes aimed at operationalizing and implementing Articles 4 (2), 10(2), 131 (1) (e) and 132 (1) (c) (i) and (ii); and implementation of Sessional Papers No. 8 of 2013 on national values and principles of governance, and No. 9 of 2013 on national cohesion and integration. The programmes being run by the Directorate include:
- Promotion of National Cohesion and Integration;
- Promotion of National Values and Principles of Governance; and
- Coordinating the preparation of the annual Presidentâ€™s Report on measures taken and progress achieved in the realization of national values and principles of governance.